Thursday, January 29, 2015

Ikru's quotes

Just trying to put together a few conversations between me and my daughter:

-------------------------

Ikru to me one day "Mumma, are you a Hindu?"
Me - "No"
Ikru - "are you a christian?"
Me - "No" (Oh, I wish.. I hate churches )
Ikru - "Oh, OK.... So you are Chinese!" (I still don't know the logic behind that.. )
Me - As always.. speechless! (stupid me, was planning to give her a class about my secular views and ideas)

-----------------------------------------------
Ikru to me, "Mamma, I want you to stay with me even after my marriage"
An overwhelmed me, almost battling tears (oh, my God, she needs me always) -"sure".
Then she continues - "so that I can cook one day, you can cook one day and my husband can cook one day"
A speechless me -yeah, sure (after all that's what mothers are for, right? To cook)

---------------------------------------------

I think my secular views totally screwed up Ikru's idea of religion.

I was trying to make her eat meat. She does not eat meat or fish. Finally I told her - "So you are a Hindu, not a Christian. Christians do eat meat"

An angry and agitated Ikru - "No, mumma, I am a christian. How can I be a Hindu. I don't even know Hindi. Christians speak English or Malayalam. So I am a christian.

Me - (yes, you guessed it).. speechless!


No comments: