Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Ikru and her grandmother



Sometimes I really feel jealous when I see the way Ikru loves my mom.  Ikru started calling my mom "mummy", following my footsteps and somehow it stuck. My mom is "Mommy" for Ikru. They both are like soul mates or partners in crime. No arguments, no shouting, no crying.. always peaceful. Ikru wishes, mummy fulfills. And in that process, I can see the child in mummy rejoicing. My brothers always used to comment that my mom is the smallest kid in our house. After Ikru, the comment was always - "you both are of same age". The way mom gives in to ikru's impish wishes and the gleam in ikru's eyes after accomplishing all the stuff which I do not allow her to do..  Nowadays Ikru sometimes says "Mummy is my best friend". Yes, they are like two little cheeky kids and for me, it is always a joy to watch them :)



Once when Ikru thought that I was not around, I heard her telling mom "You know what, I love you more than your daughter".. and mommy replies "You know what, I love you more than my daughter" Ah.. though it makes me slightly jealous, I always enjoy watching their bonding. The way they do things which only small kids can enjoy... things which sometimes I feel bored to do! Mummy sits in Ikru's kitchen patiently and have the 100th make-believe Dosa and coffee that Ikru makes. Then I think - "Oh, I don't think she was this patient when she was bringing me up... maybe I will get there one day". But I know, I can only envy the patience, liveliness and humor sense of my mom. I won't get there.



There was this funny/embarrassing situation caused by this bonding. Ikru spent her Pooja holidays at her grandmom's and then I went to pick her. We were supposed to return with a relative who was driving to Bangalore. But they cancelled the trip. So somehow last minute I managed to get a ticket from some other town. My brother had to drive me there. Mummy accompanied him. A cousin of mine who lives in that town also came to see me and promised to pack my dinner. So all in all, I was happy eating cousin chechy's kappa biriyani and couldn't think of anything else. Bus came and we boarded. Ikru looked so sad and said "I want to see mummy".

The bus driver was nowhere in vicinity. So I got down and went over to mommy and bro. Suddenly Ikru sprang to mummy and started crying "Mummy, you also come with me please....  come, come.. " Seeing her tears and sobs, mummy told "I shall come dear" She was like "then come and get on the bus". My brother tried to convince her that we do not have another ticket. Somehow the 4 year old understood that part. (Thank God she did not say, then dump mamma here and you come with me) But she kept on weeping and sobbing and by that time Mummy was also in tears. My cousin chechy drove by and stopped and said "Oh, so.. sad". I said angrily "Yeah, but both of them never seemed to bother when I leave them". She laughed :)

Finally when the driver started the bus I somehow managed to pull Ikru and boarded the bus. She kept sobbing fiercely chanting "mummy, mummy, mummy..." And the people in the bus were staring and giving me weird looks. I was thinking  like "what, are you people judging me for not being a good mom, it's not my fault. Its my mom's fault.. she is too nice to be true kind.. that's why". And then the girl sitting next to me asked "where are you taking the kid from her mommy?" Ah.. that explains the weird looks. Now that also is mummy's fault since she stays so young making people ask me if she is my sister (I heard that recently also and that makes me real jealous). With a perplexed look on my face I answered ."no.. actually I am her mommy, and that one there, that is my mommy" . The look on her face - priceless! :)

Unable to console her, I told Ikru: "Look baby, if you keep on crying like this, people  would think that I am kidnapping you. someone might call the police and they would take me." Police - the only thing in the world that scares the little daredevil -  did the trick. She somehow stopped crying. :)

Ikru heard me narrating this funny incident to a few people. She came and told me..  - "Mumma, I would now start calling mummy 'Grandma' so that such confusions do not happen. Ok?" Me... "Oh, yeah." as if that would fix it.. haha :)


No comments: