Sunday, November 23, 2014

Ikru and 'A tale of two mommies'

We started going to the library every week since it is situated near Ikru's swimming class. Seeing the pace at which Ikru is learning swimming, guess we can visit library regularly minimum for a year. All of us take books and Ikru is the only one who religiously finishes reading her books in a week. Some days we help her select books. The other day, I was busy searching for a particular book and Ikru and her dad selected her books. At home I checked the books and one was named - "A tale of two mommies". Knowing the extent to which Aussies go to teach kids about inclusiveness, I immediately understood it is about a same sex couple. My not so open husband had not understood that :)

In a way, it is amazing the way they try to impart these values in kids. One week, her reading exercise was like "I am brown, my eyes are black, etc etc (the colors were to be filled by the children) and I am beautiful the way I am". Definitely that is something we should teach our kids. They try to teach the kids that all skin color, eye color, hair color, body type are beautiful. (I totally feel that they are less bothered about skin color than us Indians who have a huge passion for fair skin). I totally admire the values they try to teach kids. So as part of this, they are trying to teach the kids that having two mommies is also equally good as having a mom and dad. It goes like a question answer session where one kid ask the other one questions like which mommy bakes, which mommy teach him to ride a bicycle and so on.. and the other one answers. Even after reading that to Ikru, my husband did not realize what it was (guess he was not paying attention to what he was reading) . I was wondering when he became so open minded and asked him. And then he realized.

Ikru was always fascinated by the idea of marriage (or mainly wedding I guess, the lil fashionista is always about dresses and shoes and make up). And first she wanted to marry her dad. And finally when I convinced her that  she cannot marry her dad, she settled with my youngest brother. When my younger brother married and my sister in law came to our house, she decided that she is marrying the other one. Then she can fulfill another dream as well, she can stay with my mom forever. :) So she told my mom "Mommy, I shall marry kochacha so that I can stay here the way Ammayi is staying here after marrying Valyacha". Somehow finally we convinced her that she cannot marry her uncle as well and then she settled for her best friend Achu.

After leaving Bangalore, and joining new school, within a few weeks, she managed to find another prospective groom, in fact two this time. Mamma, I want to marry this boy or that boy...  haha .  And that is when she got the idea of two mommies.

And then one fine morning Ikru asked her dad, "Dadda, Can two girls marry each other?". Her confused dad (who totally forgot about the book) - "Not sure if it is legal here honey. Why? what is the issue" . Ikru in deep thoughts - "I wanted to marry Sophia(You know, the boys keep fighting always)". My conservative husband had the shock of his life and was searching for words. Me laughing to my heart's content told him - "haha, YOU selected that book "

2 comments:

Jiss Nimmi said...

Ha ha.. Good one :)
@Benson: Kashtappaadu thudangunne ullu. Ini ipo oru load questions aayirikkum..

JustAnotherMom said...

Thanks Jiss :)
Haha.. yeah.. And sometimes it is really difficult to answer their questions.. You'll soon be there ;)